CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Greenway Chambers’ CPD program is available to all legal professionals. Please check back here for information on upcoming events. Alternatively,
email our Clerk or call (02) 9151 2999 for more details.
If you can't attend a CPD watch our Livestream here
25-Jul-19 5:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Gambling with your property rights: a review of recent cases in property law 35 Places remainingLevel 10, 99 Elizabeth Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Discussing a series of recent decisions by the NSW Supreme Court and NSW Court of Appeal, all arising out of the same land development and touching upon various important aspects of property law. Amongst other things, we will discuss:
- Indefeasibility and stays
- When a right to caveat gives rise to a proprietary right
- What is legal tender in discharge of a sale of land contract
- Jones v Dunkel issues in the context of liquidation
- Costs, including third party costs orders
08-Aug-19 5:15 pm - 7:00 pm
Quantum Meruit in the High Court: Is the contract really irrelevant? 22 Places remainingLevel 10/ 99 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000
Where a principle repudiates a building contract, the conventional view is that the builder may recover a quantum meruit: that is, the fair and reasonable value of the work performed. That right arises independently of the contract and the amount recovered may significantly exceed the price agreed between the parties.
Courts have expressed disquiet about this approach, including because repudiation generally does not discharge accrued rights and obligations.
A decision on this problematic topic is currently awaited from the High Court in Mann v Paterson Constructions Pty Ltd.
In this CPD we will:
- briefly survey the development of the law prior to Mann v Paterson;
- analyse the arguments put before the Court and the Justices' reactions to them during oral submissions; and
- assuming judgement has not yet been handed down, explore the practical implications of the various potential outcomes.